Thursday 28 February 2013

Danish Bus Experience - Roberta's take



Getting on and off the local bus must be a regular experience for a regular citizen, however, being a foreigner in Denmark one might find particular cultural aspects in passengers’ behavior.

Yes, people might prefer taking the single seats for the journey and one might think that this behavior is a sign of “leave me alone/stay away”. On the other hand, have you noticed that this might be followed by the rule “stand on your right, go on your left”? and those people might have just taken a single seat because they’re about to take off soon anyways and standing for a while turns into sitting in a single seat. In addition, I’ve noticed multiple times groups of people getting on the bus and sitting in clutches: taking both sides of the bus and talking to each other as if they were sitting around the table – so how is that for a “silence is the golden rule” and an unsocial behavior? I very rarely experienced the time in silence in a bus. More so, whenever I would find myself lost or in need of some guidance I would just turn to the closest person and if not him/her then the driver would get me on the right track, most of the times it would end up turning into a little discussion about the best possible way for me to reach that place between me, the driver and couple of people who heard my concerns and joined in.

Aarhus is a smiley city – it’s even the cities’ logo! And who said smile is a bad approach to a stranger. It is actually a positive note and kind expression towards a strange fellow passenger. Moreover, it is a positive signal for a possible open conversation about weather. I would rather smile in silence than sit with no face at all.

Danes do enjoy being private but it works as a respect to others, also I think that everyone once or twice has felt like staying with his/hers thoughts in the early morning or after a tiring. Let those people be, there are plenty others who are ready for an easy chat. 

I have more positive experiences to a negative ones when taking a bus: once I jumped on a bus, was all scattered, was running late, just managed to jump in, jacket still unbuttoned, hair still all over, make-up totally ruined because of all the sweat. Was rushing to take a seat to fix myself for the meeting I had to attend. So I took a seat and a women sitting in the single seat turn to me and says: “you look like a very friendly person”. My eyes got big from the amusement and she continued: “I thought this would be nice for you to know, so decided to tell you”. My day could not have gotten a better start!

Yes, maybe letting older people to get seated is not in their culture so much as it is in Eastern part of Europe, but people are friendly on the bus. They will give old lady a hand to get on the bus, drivers will wait another second for you to jump in and will cash your 100kr. bill to the coins, otherwise, give you a ride for free, people will help mothers with children and the tour will most of the time end with a bus driver wishing you to have a nice day! 

What is there more to ask for a ride in a regular bus?!

No comments:

Post a Comment